Monday, January 19, 2015

The Plackart or Kidney Belt

The Plackart or Kidney Belt




Not all pieces of armor are complicated to make. Basically the plackart can be an extra wide belt. It can be made with extra thick leather, plates of steel sewn into pockets around it known as brigandine, segmented steel plate, or any number of armor types. The basic idea is to protect the lower torso while still allowing freedom of movement to bend at the waste. That is why torso armor like a breast plate is built a little short of covering the entire torso in non flexible armor, stopping somewhere just past the bottom of the rib cage. 






Notice how in a steel plate plackart that it is shaped to extend up under the breast plate and offer full protection of the stomach and solar plexus. Each piece of the armor puzzle works together in segments to protect and it yet still allow the body to bend where it needs to. 

Secondarily the plackart is made to hold the next set of pieces down called the Tasset and sometimes the Fauld. The tasset protects upper legs, buttocks, and genitals. The Fauld is a piece that protects the hips. It can be a transition between the plackart and the tasset but it is usually only seen in plate mail.



My plackart is a really simple design. It is essentially a 7 inch wide belt. I made it with separate belts through loops to allow the freedom to attach other things to it.


First I started by cutting out the basic shape. I measured all around my waste and added some extra length. Next I dyed it black and sealed it with a wax sealant to keep the dye from bleeding. 


I then cut four short strips to use as belt loops and I put them on with rivets. Finally I fed belts through the loops. Note when sizing the belt loop put the belt through the loop before punching the holes. The strips should not be completely flat. They should have a little play to allow the belts to pass through.

My belt loops are spaced 12 inches apart with the extremes 36 inches apart. I know that it isn't as fancy as some of the examples that I found online, but I show those to inspire you with the possibilities that armor making can offer. You can make it simple like mine, steam punk, gothic, or fancy.  What's more if you have the money their are numerous sites that sell armor to suit anyone's taste.

I'll continue putting up articles about armor and I'm always happy to help anyone that is interested in learning. Also you might consider going to Tandy Leather. Not only do they sell every thing that a budding armor smith might need to begin making your own stuff, but they also offer free leather crafting classes. Just a thought.

Hope to see you on the field soon.
Thorne the mercenary
Order of the Rose
Armor and weapon smith


No comments:

Post a Comment