Saturday, December 6, 2014

Christmas Tourney an SCA Event

I just came from Christmas Tourney and it was a blast. This is an SCA event and this year they held it indoors at the community center in Elizabethtown, KY. That is just a short drive from Louisville, KY and well worth it. It only cost me $5 to get in and lunch was $5 in the kitchen. They had beef stew, berry tarts, and biscuits. Believe me I ate so much that I had to loosen my belt up a notch. The fighting was action packed and non stop all day. They tournaments of heavy armored fighting like in the fierce battle that I filmed below

They also have Fencing competitions with multiple styles of fencing like single rapier, rapier and main gauche (dagger), and rapier and buckler. I have been told that they do fencing with rapier and cape but unfortunately I didn't see anyone doing this style. It would be interesting to watch.

The real reason to attend one of these events is for the merchants. There are a lot of merchants at SCA events, even a small local event like Christmas Tourney. It is a great opportunity to find high quality and hard to find garb, leather work, crafts, armor, etc. Much of this stuff is one of a kind and the prices are reasonable. I walked away with a nice new pouch for $40 and I found some wool fabric for $5 a yard that I just couldn't pass up. I've been wanting to have a piece of winter garb made for some time and this stuff will be perfect.







No comments:

Post a Comment